missouri synod, foreign missions, lutheran, sievers, leipzig, missionary societies, armenia
Bible Study; Lecture; Sermon Prep
It was 1893, a depression year economically. But it was a great year within the Missouri Synod. At its triennial convention, Synod resolved to open two educational institutions, Concordia College of St. Paul, Minn., and a teachers' college in Nebraska. These were the first schools sponsored by Synod from their very inception. A consecrated Lutheran layman, J. P. Baden of Winfield, Kans., appropriated $50,000 toward the establishing of a college in the West. This became "St. John's English Lutheran College" of Winfield. Concordia Publishing House dedicated a new building on the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Miami Street. This had cost $23,570. Mr. Ed. J. Pahl of Michigan City, Ind., wrote the letter which, under God, launched Synod into work among the deaf. Two men who later were to take a prominent place in the history of Synod accepted calls to the St. Louis Seminary- L. Fuerbringer and F. Bente. From May 20 to 23 twelve young people's groups met in Buffalo, N. Y., and organized the International Walther League. And-for us the most important item - the convention, assembled in Holy Cross Church, St. Louis, April 26 to May 6 of that same year, voted to undertake a mission of its own in some heathen country.
Missions and World Christianity
Laity; Ministers; Scholars
Koppelmann, Herman H.
"Missouri Synod Undertakes Foreign Missions,"
Concordia Theological Monthly: Vol. 22, Article 45.
Available at: https://scholar.csl.edu/ctm/vol22/iss1/45